Use the month of May to help promote the importance of building codes and safe building within your community
Did you know May is Building Safety Month? I'm familiar with Construction Safety Week, which is being recognized this week, but I have to admit, after writing about the construction industry for 12 years, this is the first time I've heard of Building Safety Month. But Building Safety Month isn't new. In fact, it's been a worldwide public awareness campaign by the International Code Council (ICC) for the past 39 years!
The goal of the campaign is to help "individuals, families and businesses understand what it takes to create safe and sustainable structures." It also aims to " reinforce the need for the adoption of modern, regularly-updated building codes, a strong and efficient system of code enforcement and a well-trained, professional workforce to maintain the system."
Many professionals from the building construction, design and safety industries take part in Building Safety Month. Each week of the month highlights a different theme of building safety.
In 2018, the Building Safety Month campaign had:
- 402 proclamations
- 32 sponsors
- $99,000 raised
- 2,403 video views
- 37,276 page views
The ICC offers many resources for getting involved in Building Safety Month. Here are just some ways your local construction company can get involved:
- Plan an event to celebrate building safety in your community
- Ask your legislator, mayor or governor to issue a building safety proclamation
- Hang posters around town in local businesses and schools
- Send apress releaseto local media outlets or write aletter to the editor to spread the news about building safety
- Download or order brochures, stickers, flyers, pencils and more from ICC to distribute at events and among your community
- Post about Building Safety Month on social media using #BuildingSafety365
Does your company get involved in Building Safety Month? If so, what does your company do?
Just for fun
For the construction industry, the month of May really focuses on safety. But here are some additional special holidays and celebrations you might want to partake in this month:
- May 4 - Star Wars Day (May the 4th be with you...)
- May 6 - No Diet Day
- May 10 - Clean Up Your Room Day
- May11 - Eat What You Want Day
- May 16 - Wear Purple for Peace Day
- May 17 - National Bike to Work Day
- May 23 - Lucky Penny Day
- May 25 - National Wine Day
- May 28 - National Hamburger Day
- May 31 - Save Your Hearing Day
Did you like this blog? Read more Construction Toolbox blog posts on ForConstructionPros.com.